Apex, who task2 work with in London have announced a merger with top PR company Maitland PR to form Maitland Politicial.
Maitland launches new Public Affairs arm following merger with Euro RSCG Apex Communications – Mar 21st 2011
Maitland, the leading financial and corporate communications group, today announces the launch of a new public affairs arm, to be called Maitland Political, to advise clients on government relations and public policy. Maitland is merging with Euro RSCG Apex Communications, its fellow Euro RSCG agency, to create the new arm of the business, which will also encompass a number of Maitland’s existing senior consultants.
Apex, founded five years ago by Ed Owen and Pete Bowyer, has grown to become a leader in its field and has worked with a range of high profile clients, including A4e, Johnson & Johnson, the Competition Commission, the British Beer and Pub Association, Allpay and Channel 4.
Mr. Owen and Mr. Bowyer will become full Partners in Maitland. Together, Maitland Political will have a powerful team of experienced public affairs consultants from a wide range of backgrounds.
Key figures include:
– Ed Owen, political adviser in the Home Office (1997-2001) and Foreign Office (2001-2005) and strategic communications expert.
– Pete Bowyer, a leading political and media consultant for the last 15 years who has advised Kofi Annan, Nestlé SA, McDonalds, Johnson & Johnson, DHL International, Viacom, bmi and Kingfisher plc amongst others.
– James Drewer, a long standing adviser to the Conservative Party who worked for William Hague in 2001, was involved in Ken Clarke’s leadership bid, and more recently worked for Andy Coulson at Conservative Central Office in the run up to last year’s General Election, travelling with David Cameron on the campaign trail.
– Brian Cattell, a current Maitland Partner with over 15 years of financial communications, political and media experience. Brian is a former Conservative Parliamentary candidate and current Chairman of the Conservative leaning think-tank The Bow Group.
– Peter Lyburn, former Conservative Parliamentary candidate. Peter fought target seat number 30, Perth and North Perthshire for the Conservatives at the last General Election. Prior to the election, Peter was an environmental consultant with UK recycling firm SWR.
In addition, Alison Goldsworthy, Deputy Chair of the Liberal Democrats Federal Executive and an expert campaigner, will be joining as the Maitland Political team as a consultant. Alison was named as one of PR Week’s 29 under 29 in 2010.
Maitland Political has the scale, the experience and strong relationships within the political community to advise and assist clients on a broad range of subjects, including:
Competition policy, financial services policy and legislation, health policy, employment policy, Central and Local Government procurement, and international trade relations. It will support clients on stakeholder relations, policy development, issue-based campaigning, and monitoring of political and parliamentary activities.
Neil Bennett, Maitland’s Chief Executive, said: “The launch of Maitland Political is a huge opportunity for us to offer a wider range of services and advice to our clients. For some time now it has been clear to us that financial and corporate communications and public and Government affairs are closely related disciplines, whether we are advising on a transaction or on day-to-day matters. I am delighted that the team from Apex have agreed to join us in this new venture and look forward to working with them to deliver a truly excellent service to clients across a full range of audiences.”
Ed Owen, Maitland Political Partner, added: “This is an exciting development for us and creates a natural partnership that pools our different skills to provide clients with even greater value in terms of expertise and experience. The traditional barriers between communications disciplines are disappearing and the merger provides companies and organisations with a fully integrated and comprehensive service.”
The merger is effective as of today and the new business will be based in Maitland’s
existing offices in Covent Garden.
Notes to Editors
1, Maitland is Europe’s leading financial and corporate communications adviser. With a broad range of FTSE100 and FTSE250 clients and multinationals it has developed an unrivalled reputation for discreet but powerful advice and advocacy with the media and
the financial community. Founded by its chairman Angus Maitland in 1994 it aims to be a uniquely trusted adviser and intermediary between different audiences in critical situations. Maitland is a founding member of AMO, the world’s leading financial and corporate communications network, which has offices and more than 250 senior consultants on all five continents.